Jenny Pope's Carved Out Place!

Aug 24, 2011

JPOP Printmaking

 Printing my piece titled, "Sleeted Chicklets" This is how I make most of my color-reduction woodcuts.
Rolling up penguin beaks
close up
Setting down the block, I put the paper down first and then the woodblock
then I crank the press and the pressure of the roller transfers the ink to the paper.
Voila! Orange penguin beaks!

This is how I use to dry my woodcuts, but, now I have a fancy drying rack :)

Sleeted Chicklets finished! Click to see the piece on my JPOP website.


Penguins in Antarctica are having a hard time, with a warmer climate snow is turning into rain. Baby penguins have a soft down coating, snow just falls right off but rain penetrates to their bodies and they freeze to death. A very sad story, but, one worth telling. Everybody loves a penguin!


10 comments:

  1. Thanks Carly! I love your Iceland photos! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Is this your home studio, Jenny?

    Jen :)
    www.jenniferzalewski.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen, this was my home studio on Buffalo St, now I have a different home studio on Elm St.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see your new blog and look forward to your updates.

    Yes, do come back to visit one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to come out for this http://www.tascraftfair.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful prints + great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rachelle! I just poked around on your blog too, love it! California is such a magical state, and, I also love Golly Bard's watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your works are very nice! I'm a student minoring in relief printmaking and I was curious about your method of laying the paper first on the press then the block. Does this help with registration more than using a board?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lauren! Thanks for the message, I find that putting the paper down first does wonders for registration. Try it and see if you like it! Some people choose to use a board or a guide to register and like that method better. Best of luck to you and your carving.

    ReplyDelete